Woman Suffers Second-Degree Burns After Fitbit Explodes


A Wisconsin woman is giving other FItbit owners a warning after she suffered second-degree burns when her Fitbit exploded. 

After recieving it as a birthday gift, Dina Mitchell had only owned her Fitbit Flex 2 for about two weeks.  On Tuesday night it caught fire on her arm while she was reading a book.  As it was still burning, she she ripped the Fitbit off of her arm and threw it onto the ground.  Emergency care doctors had to pick pieces of plastic and rubber out of her arm when she went to the hospital the next day. 

Dina told ABC News, "I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded. It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long… I don’t know. Either way, It burned the heck out of my arm."

Fitbit released a statement saying, "We are extremely concerned about Ms. Mitchell’s report regarding her Flex 2 and take it very seriously, as the health and safety of our customers is our top priority."

They also noted that they are not aware of any similar complaints and do not see reason for people to stop wearing the fitness tracking device. 

SOURCE: ABC News

1075 The River · Nashville: Live Life. Love Music.

Listen Now on iHeartRadio