It's being called the biggest recall in history. Toyota is recalling 1.7 million cars, trucks, and suv's because of potentially dangerous Takata airbags. The airbags could release dangerous and life threatening shrapnel when inflated.
It's the same airbag manufacturer that has affected nearly every automaker. The bags were made with chemical ammonium nitrate. In Toyotas, it affected the front passenger airbag. Around the world, 23 people have died from these going off.
Is your vehicle on the list that includes Toyota, Scion, and Lexus?
- 4Runner (2010 through 2016)
- Corolla (2010 through 2013)
- Matrix (2010 through 2013)
- Sienna (2011 through 2014)
Impacted Lexus models:
- ES 350 (2010 through 2012)
- GX 460 (2010 through 2017)
- IS 250C (2010 through 2015)
- IS 350C (2010 through 2015)
- IS 250 (2010 through 2013)
- IS 350 (2010 through 2013)
- IS-F (2010 through 2014)
Also included: the Scion XB (2010 through 2015).
You can check for your car on the Toyota website, and owners will also get something in the mail from the company in late January.
Earlier this week, Ford issued a recall of nearly 1 million vehicles in the US in connection with the Takata airbag recall.