My mom used to tell me things that were dangerous. Besides the gum I swallowed that will NEVER, ever digest, there was one warning that stuck with me.
"Don't take a shower during a thunderstorm. You'll get electrocuted."
My wife also heard this at home. And we passed it along to our kids who don't take a shower when there's a thunderstorm. And it seems that's all we have in Nashville lately.
But is this a myth? Or is it real?
Well, I checked with the National Weather Service.
It is true! Don't do it.
The channel of air through which lightning passes can be heated to 50,000°F—hotter than the surface of the sun! The rapid heating and cooling of the air near the lightning channel causes a shock wave that results in the sound we know as “thunder.”
Here's their advice.
Mom was right!
Don't believe me? Here's the proof.