It was a scary day in Hendersonville for students at Merrol Hyde Magnet School. A little after 10:00am, a fire broke out at the school from a chemical accident in a science class.
11 students were hospitalized as a result of the incident, and nine remain as of 4:00pm. No injuries, however, are considered serious enough for overnight hospitalization, and none were to the eyes.
#BREAKING: Hendersonville Fire officials say 17 people were treated or transported after school fire in lab at Merrol Hyde Magnet School. Victims had possible chemical burns— NewsChannel 5 (@NC5) May 9, 2018
The school was prepared for an accident, and thankfully no one was more seriously injured. The school was evacuated and Hazmat teams were called in to eliminate any harmful fumes.
Classes are expected to resume as normal tomorrow.