I think I finally found something to do in my spare time! ORRR it also sounds like an AMAZING retirement plan lol
As you know, unfortunately millions of newborn babies are affected by the nationwide opioid epidemic. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, a baby is born suffering from opioid withdrawal every FIFTEEN MINUTES!! These babies suffer in pain before they experience anything else when they come into this world.. just honestly heartbreaking.
Babies that are born from mothers who suffer from addiction end up in the NICU and apparently hospitals across the country receive volunteer help from people who serve as "BABY CUDDLERS"
These people give the needed love and affection to these babies and rock the infants to sleep. The cuddler programs are becoming part-time jobs in Iowa, Virginia, San Antonio and Massachusetts.
Volunteers sit, and rock the infants, holding them tight. These babies keep their hands close to their chests, and like to suck on pacifiers, so the stimuli are reduced due to the rocking, sucking, keeping them in a quiet environment.
Within a few weeks, the infants show the first signs of improvements, the eye contact is better, they feed better, are not that fussy, and start to sleep better. Apparently, it takes a little to make a huge difference in the world.
If you are want to help or need a good retirement plan here's a list of some of the hospitals across the country looking for people!
- The Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, in Philadelphia, has a four-hour training course for cuddler volunteers.
- The Boston Medical Center has a program called CALM – Cuddling Assists in Lowering Maternal and Infant Stress.
- Lily’s Place
- Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC in Pittsburgh
- The Woman’s Hospital of Texas
- The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh & Lemieux Family Centre
- Miller Children’s Hospital
- University of Chicago Medicine
I even found an opportunity in Tennessee too!! "Volunteer Match" says they're looking for volunteers! CLICK HERE to check out the deets!